Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Budapest Trip: Day 1

Finally sorted out my photos from the Budapest trip. Well, day 1 at least. Regretted taking so many selfies HAHA filtering is a chore. I've uploaded day 1 photos on fb, those that weren't edited hahaha. Anyway I wanted to blog about it before I forget what happened haha the Barcelona trip and Edinburgh trip memories are getting blurry already. All photos taken with my iPhone because I left my camera behind by mistake. So, here goes.

Day 1
Left hall for Heathrow Airport early morning with C and XP, and we reached on time and everything went pretty smoothly haha. Also realised that the more we travel, the lesser stuff we brought around. My handcarry luggage was only half full hahaha.


Ootd taken by C! Wearing my Miss Selfridge sweater, Topshop jeans and Timberlands. My other pair of La Redoute boots are spoilt. :( They didn't exactly last very long since I only got them in October last year argh.


We actually took a bus to board the plane! I always find it really cool to board the plane directly instead of via the boarding gate tunnel (?) HAHA but this would never happen in Changi Airport LOL. Anyway, the flight was about 3 hours but we landed earlier than the stated time. Budapest is also one hour ahead of London. After we arrived, we got tickets for the bus, then we changed to the metro to get to our hotel, which was very near the city centre. The public transport fares were a lot cheaper than London's, we got the 10 pieces discount booklet since there were 5 of us and it was only about 3k HUF, which is less than £10 for 10 single fares.





City centre and selfie LOL. Also realised that we should've changed our currency in Budapest because the rates were better! Note to self next time when I go back to visit. The pastries in Hungary are also REALLY GOOD, they have this chain store called "Princess" at almost every metro station and everything is less than £1 each. I especially liked the hot dog pastries and the strawberry croissants!




View of the Szechenyi Lanchid while finding the hotel. Quite cloudy hence the poor lighting. After we had checked in, we headed for Castle Hill which was only about 10 min walk away. We wanted to get food, and the hotel receptionist said there are a couple of restaurants there (which we later realised were rather pricey as compared to other places but nvm!!).





Walked up instead of taking the tram because tram tickets were quite expensive and it was a relatively short walk!




Saw this slanted lamp post hehe.



First Hungarian snack! Traditional Chimney cake. It was GOOD.








Then, we went to this restaurant called the Tarnok Cafe & Bier (if I'm not wrong HAHA had to use Google maps to find the location). The meal was really good, they had set menus for only 2900 HUF for a starter, main and dessert.



Goulash and Hungarian sausage with rice (IT WAS BRILLIANT).



Something with chips (I forgot) and Hungarian pizza.



DESSERT. I never got to find out the name of it because it was just called dessert on the menu but seriously Hungarian cakes are amazing. I'm not even a fan of milk and cream but the cream was really light and fluffy. Craving it again now HAHA.

Anyway, by the time we finished, it was almost dark. Went to a nearby supermarket to buy water and unfortunately we all bought sparkling water by mistake because none of us could read the words LOL. We only realised after we'd opened to drink. And they had Lipton mango tea! So we bought 1.5L bottles of those.





Really scenic night view of the Szechenyi Lanchid (chain bridge).





Attempted a couple of panorama shots hahaha. No filter and lousy iPhone camera hence the terrible quality. Anyway, we went to Vaci Utca after that, which is the Hungarian equivalent of Oxford Street LOL. We were trying to google for the address and I actually typed in "Hungary Oxford Street" before realising it's not actually called Oxford Street. X_X Didn't buy anything because most of the stores were closed and we couldn't really compare the prices with UK. We went to H&M and Zara but prices were around the same I guess? And Zara had very little of the sale stock left haha. But C and I bought a pair of flats each from New Yorker! They were on sale for ONLY 290 HUF which is like 80p LOL so we had to buy them! They came in pastel colours and C got the baby blue pair and I got the beige pair. We both preferred the other's colour but there were no sizes. :(


Holding our purchases outside the store. It was my only clothing purchase of the trip!


Night view of the Basilica. Then we went to Starbucks and then the gelato place! It's called Gelarto Rosa and it's very near the Basilica. They had a lot of flavours like pistachio and A LOT OF SORBETS. I love sorbets. It was 500 HUF for 2 flavours, so I got the lemon and strawberry sorbet. Was seriously watching in awe as the person crafted it petal by petal! I had never seen rose gelato before HAHA but later I found out Amorino in Soho also has it (but more expensive of course).




Crossing the bridge to get back to the hotel. The lights were really pretty! And yup that concludes the first day in Budapest hehe. Will post about the other days when I have time! x

2 comments:

  1. HAHA OMG HI XY. DIDN'T KNOW YOU ARE STILL BLOGGING!! (I remembered your previous one was updated so long ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA YES I resumed like this year only! Was really lazy previously and kept changing platforms but now I'm back to Blogger :P

      Delete